Friday, February 22, 2008

A Possible Solution to "Buried in Paper"

No good deed goes unpunished - sometimes if you give to a charity they bury you with mail. Jocelyn writes:

I am about to withdraw my support from a local Christian (not Catholic) charity. I think they are doing a good thing (running a soup kitchen and homeless shelter), but I am wearied and a bit disgusted by the endless stream of solicitations I am receiving in the mail from them.

My first donation to them was several years ago, at Christmas. This put me on their mailing list, and I began to receive their mailings for their major fundraising campaigns: Easter, Summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Generally, I sent something. Then I thought it would be better to become a monthly donor, and provide consistent support...

Nevertheless, it doesn't sit right with me. I am going to inform this charity that I will be re-directing my funds to other local charities I already support, who don't feel the need to bury me in paper.
What I've recently done has been to go paperless. I set up a Internet Explorer favorites list of charities (most of which are on the right sidebar) and simply donate once a month via online VISA donation. (The links at right all go directly to that organization's online donation screen.) Then I throw away most charity mailings without looking at them.

No comments: